HISTORY

1901
Dr. jur. Karl August von Schmieder acquires the Steinach estate and Steinach Castle, which together with the neighbouring farms of Einhausen and Rinkam encompasses just under 1000 hectares. Extensive structural alterations are carried out over the next few years: a modern cattle shed and distillery are erected in the castle courtyard; the Steinach (Lower Steinach) Stud is built, as are houses for the estate’s own workers. The castle courtyard at that time still represents our logo to this day.

1919
On 19 October 1919 in Steinach Castle’s tower room experts on grassland at the time and Dr. Karl August von Schmieder resolve to initiate a “grassland movement” based in Steinach. It is agreed that all green land used for animal feed is to be called “grassland”. The term “permanent grassland” is coined for meadows and grazing land that remains permanently green. Ever since then SAATZUCHT STEINACH has been inseparably linked with the term "grassland".


1941
Dr. Max von Schmieder takes the farm over from his father. A new branch of the farm is added in the Fifties with the selection and propagation of fast-moving tree species. This nursery for poplars and white willows is however discontinued in the Eighties.

1963
Hans-Bernd Meyer (flora-frey) buys SAATZUCHT STEINACH. He has a new cowshed built at the stud, as the previous one in the castle courtyard is converted into a grass seed packing shed. The first cleaning and drying plant with several silos is started up in 1977. It is at this time that they start successfully keeping and breeding trotting horses at the stud again.




1980 Hans-Bernd Meyer sells the farm to “Flurbereinigung”. The “Old Steinach Castle” – the erstwhile farm building – is converted in the Eighties into a hunting and castle hotel. SAATZUCHT STEINACH is relocated from the castle courtyard. The new SAATZUCHT STEINACH buildings are constructed west of the castle hill at the existing cleaning plant.

1984
The dairy farming operation is discontinued. The cowshed at the stud is converted into horse boxes. A 1000-m long training track for trotting horses is built.

1988
The Kronseder family buys SAATZUCHT STEINACH. Mr Norman Kronseder takes over the management. Substantial investments are required to enable the operation to continue and be viable in the future. The Steinach Stud is leased to the well-known trotter trainer Helmut Biendl.

1992
SAATZUCHT STEINACH buys Saatzucht Bornhof GmbH in Mecklenburg Western Pomerania. In addition to breeding, this farm also operates agricultural production and a pig-fattening plant.







2000
SAATZUCHT STEINACH leases the Ballin Estate from the Kronseder family with about 1000 hectares of farmland in Mecklenburg Western Pomerania. As the farm is roughly 30 km away from the Bornhof farm it makes sense to manage them together. The addition of the Ballin Estate means the agricultural area is extended, and further pig-fattening plants and a pig-breeding plant are also leased.

2007
Agrargesellschaft Burg Stargard mbH becomes part of SAATZUCHT STEINACH as an independent operation. It focuses on arable farming and pig-fattening production.